Prep time: 20 minCook time: 15 minTotal time: 35 minNumber of Servings: 4 servings
1 Tub Quark (250g)
3 Eggs (Medium)
4 tbsp Sweetener
- Grate lemon rind and juice.
- Separate egg whites/yolks.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F
- Put the Quark into a mixing bowl and give it a good stir/beat to loosen it up and make it smooth and creamy.
- Lightly grate the lemon rind on the fine side of a grater. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Juice the lemon and add to the mixing bowl. Tip: Put the lemon in the microwave for 10-30 seconds (depending on wattage). This releases the juice and you get more.
- Add egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sweetener.
- Give the contents of the mixing bowl a vigorously stir with a big spoon. Make sure the yolks are broken and thoroughly blended in.
- Split the lemon/quark mixture between 4 ramekins. Fill to just over halfway (2/3 max). Use another ramekins rather than over fill.
- If you don’t have ramekins you can put in a pie dish (and portion after it’s cooked). Tip: If you use a pie dish don’t use a small deep one. If you pack this too deep you’ll end up with gooey eggy filling and under-cooked meringue.
- Put on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, Whilst the ramekins are in the oven……………..
- Put the egg whites in bowl and whisk until you get a white foam that is stiff enough to hold a peak when you remove the whisk.
- NOTE: Don’t use the bowl you’ve just used for the quark unless you’ve washed and thoroughly dried it.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons of sweetener into the white foam (while still whisking). Don’t tip the sweetener in; sprinkle it like you would do putting it on cereal. Tip: Use powdered sweetener if you can. Granulated will work, powdered is better.
- You can over whisk it, so stop as soon as it is thick and glossy and holds its shape.
- After 10 minutes, take the ramekins out of the oven and gently spoon meringue equally over each one.
- Put back in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
SYNS UPDATE: I still use the sweetener as Syn Free, although Slimming World now stipulate that sweeteners now have a syn value of 0.5 per tbsp. So, up to you, if you want to syn this, then it is just 2 syns total, or 0.5 syn per ramekin!