- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 16 ounces
- 1 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 cup pickle juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- olive oil spray
- 4 tablespoons light mayo
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 12 dill pickle chips
- 4 whole wheat potato rolls, such as Martins
- Pound out the thicker end of the chicken breast to make the thickness even on both ends, about 1/2-inch thick, this will ensure the chicken cooks even, then cut each breast in half to make 4 pieces.
- Whisk buttermilk and pickle juice in a bowl.
- Add chicken and toss to coat; cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Combine flour, garlic powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk egg in another bowl.
- Line the air fryer basket with an air fryer parchment liner (these are sold on Amazon, look for parchment with the holes).
- Working with one chicken breast at a time, dip chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then into the egg and back into the flour, using the back of a fork to coat well so it adheres.
- Shake excess then transfer to the prepared air fryer basket and spray tops with oil.
- Air fry in batches as needed 380F until golden and cooked through, about 15 to 18 minutes, turning halfway depending on the thickness, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 165°F.
- Meanwhile combine sriracha and mayo in a small bowl.
- To assemble sandwiches, place the mayo on the top of rolls, place the chicken on the bottom roll followed by the pickle chips and tops of rolls.
Tested in the G0Wise 7-quart air fryer (affil link)Skip the brining step if you are using Kosher chickens, they are already brined.Serving: 1sandwich, Calories: 334kcal, Carbohydrates: 31g, Protein: 35g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 100mg, Sodium: 796mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 7g Blue Smart Points:6 Green Smart Points:8 Purple Smart Points:6